Check those smoke detectors
Every home should have smoke detectors installed. According to the Residential Fire Safety Institute, over 92% of dwellings in the U.S. have at least one smoke detector, however one third of these alarms no longer work.
While smoke detectors are fairly low maintenance, there are a few things that we need to remind ourselves to do.
- Check the batteries in your smoke detectors one a year or even every 6 months.
- Vacuum alarms at least once a year to remove dust, a big contributor to faulty alarms.
- Make sure to replace them once every 10 years as the sensors can go bad over time.
The locations of smoke alarms are also important. You want to make sure that you hear the alarm and can respond quickly.
- Outside each bedroom area
- In each bedroom
- On every level in your home
It would also be advantageous to keep a fire extinguisher in your home which could prevent something small from becoming a much bigger issue. You can always count on SERVPRO of Cudahy/St. Francis to provide you with the tips you need to keep you and your family safe.