Recent Fire Damage Posts

We're Here When Milwaukee County Residents Need Help With Fire Damage | SERVPRO® Cudahy/St/ Francis

12/19/2020 (Permalink)

firefighter with water hose trying to put out large flames engulfing brick home If you have fire damage due to a heating malfunction or other issue, count on SERVPRO of Cudahy/St. Francis to fully restore your home.

We're Here When Milwaukee County Residents Need Help With Fire Damage | SERVPRO® Cudahy/St. Francis

Milwaukee residents know that when they need us most we’re here to help remediate and repair fire damage.

No one likes to think about fire damage, but it’s a common problem in the United States—something millions of Americans will deal with over the next year. That could include some families and neighbors in our community.

Want to know why so many families trust us in the community? Here’s what makes us different:

We believe in restoration. Our team helps families recover from a fire in a way that’s both logical and economical. Experts are there at every step. We’ll help you save money on repairs and insurance premiums.

We can do the entire process for you. House fires can damage upholstery, walls and more. Issues resulting from water and smoke are common problems, too. We have the tools and resources to remediate these issues. We’ll make the damage like it never happened.

We are a locally owned business. SERVPRO locations are everywhere—all across the United States. This location is locally owned. It’s staffed by team members who live in Milwaukee County and the surrounding communities. But since we are a SERVPRO location, we can use the resources, equipment and training you would find at a leading-edge company. Our team brings the advantages of that partnership to the jobs we do for our neighbors here.

We’re here 247. Beginning the restoration process quickly is an important step in getting your home back to its original state. When it’s an emergency, we’re available 247. We make sure our team is here when it matters most.

<h2fire-damage-during-winter">Increased Fire Damage During Winter

Fires aren’t a seasonal hazard, but more of them happen during the winter months. The season’s unique conditions create additional fire hazards homeowners should know about.

Space heaters without automatic shutoff functions can topple over. Candles left burning can fall over when someone bumps a table.

Kitchen fires happen more often, as many people are cooking and baking for the holidays. Christmas tree accidents are a leading cause of fires.

Other threats have little to do with holiday parties and more to do with the home malfunctioning items. Broken furnaces and issues with appliances happen sometimes.

If you have fire damage in your home due to a kitchen, heating or other fire, you can count on us for restoration assistance. Our team is always ready to meet your needs and help you restore your home. Contact us at any time to learn more about our restoration services.

Tips to prevent a fire in your home

11/8/2019 (Permalink)

Fires can happen any time of year, but the chances go up significantly in the winter. Cooking, smoking, heating equipment, electrical problems and candles are some of the top causes for home fires. Below are some safety measures that you can take as a homeowner to help prevent fires and keep you and your family safe.

                COOKING

                                Cooking is the #1 cause of home fires and is responsible for almost half of home fires in the U.S. These rates can more than double on Thanksgiving. Never leave food unattended while it’s cooking and if you have to leave the room, turn off the burner. Keep all flammable materials away from cooking areas and keep a metal lid hand to smother grease fires. Putting water on a grease fire will cause it to explode. Keep a fire extinguisher handy and if a fire does occur, get out of the house as fast as possible and call 911.

                SMOKING

                                Smoking is the #1 cause of fire deaths, most commonly occurring in a bedroom or living room. If you have to smoke, do it outside, use deep wide ash trays and pour water over them to fully extinguish. Never leave a burning cigarette unattended.

                HEATING EQUIPMENT

                                Heating equipment, such as a space heater, cause 2 of every 5 fires and another 1/3 are caused by fireplaces/chimneys. If you choose to use a space heater, keep it at least 3 feet away from anything flammable and 3 feet away from children. Turn off when you leave a room or when you go to sleep. If you have a fireplace, make sure to use a screen in front of it. You should also have your fireplace/chimney professionally cleaned once a year.

                ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS

                                In 2014, over 500 people were killed by electrical fires caused by faulty wiring, outdated appliances or malfunctioning lighting equipment. Make sure you don’t overload an outlet. If you are using a heat producing appliance such as a space heater or toaster, plug it directly into an outlet by itself. You should never use an extension cord or power strip. If you have any electrical work that needs to be done, hire a professional. Also, all of your outdoor, bathroom, kitchen, garage and basement outlets should be protected with ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) which will cut off electrical circuits when they become shock hazards. If you notice frequent blown fuses, discolored, warm or sparking outlets or burning smells coming from any appliances, call an electrician right away.

                CANDLES

                                Between 2009-2013, 9,300 homes fires occurred due to candles. This resulted in $374 million in property damage. 1/3 of these fires happened in a bedroom. Never leave a candle unattended. Blow them out if you leave a room or go to sleep. Never leave kids alone with a candle and keep it at least a foot away from anything flammable. Alternatively, you can use flameless, battery operated candles or flashlights if you lose power.

There are so many things we can do to help prevent fires, but sometimes they can still happen. SERVPRO of Cudahy/St. Francis can help you with the next steps. Even if you are looking for a shoulder to lean on or advice, we can help point you in the right direction. We know how devastating and emotional a fire in your home can be and we are always here to help.  

Check those smoke detectors

11/7/2019 (Permalink)

Every home should have smoke detectors installed. According to the Residential Fire Safety Institute, over 92% of dwellings in the U.S. have at least one smoke detector, however one third of these alarms no longer work.

While smoke detectors are fairly low maintenance, there are a few things that we need to remind ourselves to do.

  1. Check the batteries in your smoke detectors one a year or even every 6 months.
  2. Vacuum alarms at least once a year to remove dust, a big contributor to faulty alarms.
  3. Make sure to replace them once every 10 years as the sensors can go bad over time.

The locations of smoke alarms are also important. You want to make sure that you hear the alarm and can respond quickly.

  1. Outside each bedroom area
  2. In each bedroom
  3. On every level in your home

It would also be advantageous to keep a fire extinguisher in your home which could prevent something small from becoming a much bigger issue. You can always count on SERVPRO of Cudahy/St. Francis to provide you with the tips you need to keep you and your family safe.